Below are some resources for parents seeking more information about Common Core and how to incorporate it into their home learning.
General Common Core Information
- Common Core Concepts via YouTube video – 3 minutes on the concept of Common Core
- National PTA’s Website on Common Core – webinar series, state standards guide and testing background information
- California PTA’s Website on Common Core– Parent guides
- Video on Close Reading Concepts – 2 minute video from McGraw Hill Publishers
How to Incorporate Common Core Principles Into Home Learning
- 3 Ideas for Parents About the Common Core – questions to integrate into your daily life
- Parent Road Maps- by grade for teaching Common Core concepts at home from Great City Schools – FREE
- Common Core Curriculum Samples – Check out the samples of new curriculum using Common Core Principles by grade
- Elementary School Curriculum Samples – really meant for teachers but can be used by parents – FREE
- Free Close Reading Exercises – FREE by grade level
- Take a Practice Test Using Common Core Principles – New test from “Smarter Balanced” will most likely begin in place of the STAR tests next year! Try it out.
- AUSD’s Common Core Webpage – background on AUSD implementation and parent guides
- Common Core Implementation at Alameda Unified School District (AUSD) – The Alamedan, October 30, 2013
- Update on Common Core Implementation at AUSD – Powerpoint from November 7, 2013 Board of Education Meeting Presentation
Above Not Enough Information?