In case you missed it, here are four things you need to know from the May 9 PTA meeting:
- Shariq Kahn, Chief Business Officer for AUSD, talked about Measure I, the Alameda school facilities bond that was passed in 2014. This $180 million bond is already being spent to improve schools around the island. Kahn was at Franklin because we’re up next.
The planning phase for facility improvement at Franklin Elementary is scheduled to start this coming fall, and if all goes as planned, construction will begin in summer of 2017 (next summer!). The current plan calls for three new classrooms, a dedicated science room, and the removal of the portables, although final decisions will be made at the fall planning meetings.
You can see the district’s overall Facilities Master Plan, along with the implementation plan for school site improvements and strategies for prioritizing projects at the AUSD website, here.
- The PTA voted on additions to the budget, since we’re so flush with cash right now from the auction. Expenditures include:
- New headphones for the Media Center
- Campus improvement
- New play equipment for next year’s all-day kindergarteners
- Measure A support
- This year the PTA will be funding food trucks for all of the end-of-year picnics! No more pleas for corn chips and watermelon—it’s all taken care of.
- The PTA will hold an additional meeting in June to determine what they’ll be funding next year. Look for a time and date and make your voice heard!